Hola mis amigas y amigos! Este mes es Octobre. Yes, my Spanish sucks. I really need to brush up on it if I’m ever going to survive the Run of the Bulls. Today is the first day of October, and I am super pumped. I mean it is the best month of the year. Obviously because I was born in it Anyways here are my favorite things about the month of October and my goals I hope to achieve.
1. My Birthday (I’ll be the ripe age of 22, scary)! I mean come on, I wouldn’t be my narcissistic self if I didn’t love October (okay, I am not self obsessed, but I do love birthdays – I get really into them, I’m quite scary around birthday time). I always try to have at least one epic birthday memory each year. Some are let’s just say not my better moments, but according to my friends my inebriated self is so fun (HEY! Are ya’ll saying I’m not fun when I’m sober…). I’m so fun, that my friends love to film me on my birthdays. Quote from one of the movies: I’m laying on the floor motionless with my tiara on, my roommate: “and she still wants to play Andre 40 hands”..
2. Incorporating pumpkin into anything that I can. Hmm well maybe not pumpkin water, that might be really disgusting. I’m down for pumpkin breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Not only do I like canned pumpkin, but those pumpkin candies (you know, those ones that taste so good, you eat an entire bag until you realize you just were a fatty…hmmm..guess that is only me). They are my kryptonite. I have to only eat a few otherwise I’ll become the next Nicki Minaj (not that its bad because I do love her, I just don’t want the butt to go along with it). Even more pumpkin comes into October with carving or decorating. Am I just really weird or does anyone else paint pumpkins? Apparently carving a pumpkin is all the rage, I guess I never got that memo.
Gluten Free Banana and Pumpkin Spice Pancakes:
1/3 c. Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
2 Tbsp Gluten Free Oats
1/3 c. Coconut Milk (from carton, not thai style)
1/8 tsp salt
3/4 tsp Vanilla extract
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/3 c. canned pumpkin
1/2 sliced banana
1 packet of truvia
sprinkle of chocolate chips
1. Mix all of the ingredients in a bowl.
2. Cook over low-medium heat. Makes about 5 small pancakes or 2 really large ones.
3. Halloween costumes. I really wanted to go as Nicki Minaj, but I think I need about two extra butts in order to pull it off. Oh wait…I just remembered, I’m also white. People might not be able to tell who I was dressing up as. I think I’m going to be really lame this year and just shell out some money for a costume. I’m thinking of getting one of those reversible costumes that way I have two outfits for the price of one. Yes, the Jew in me will never go away. Always looking for deals.
4. Fall food in general. The combinations of fall flavors are endless. Apples and cinnamon. Caramel and apples. I think I may need to start going to AA (appleholics annonymous). The cooler weather (cooler being 91, yes finally no more extreme sweating, just normal sweating now) allows me to make warmer food, like my Turkey Chili (well, it’s my moms recipe, but I snagged it and now label it as a family recipe):
Turkey Chili (Gluten Free):
1 lb lean ground turkey
1 whole onion (I use sweet)
1 can rotel
2 cans of pinto beans (I use ranch style beans, black can, get em)
1 package of Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing (powder, you never know there might be someone dumb and think liquid)
1 package of taco seasoning
1-2 c. of water
1. Cook ground turkey and half of onion in a pan until cooked thoroughly.
2. Transfer to a pot. Add in all other ingredients (if you want a more soupy chili use 2 c. of water, but if you want a thick chili use 1 to 1 1/2).
3. Heat over low heat for about 30 minutes or until hot.
4. Makes about 8 (1 cup) servings, but sometimes a little more
5. Can I say my birthday again? Just kidding. Sort of. For my birthday, my dear bubbe is giving me sewing lessons. Oh god no. She is not teaching me, that would probably be pure hell, mainly for her. Instead, she is going to pay for me to take a class on sundays for three weeks for beginning sewing. I am stoked. Project Runway here I come. I’ll just squeeze that little life adventure in between getting my license as a dietician and potentially going to physician assistants school. I totally have time for it all. Not, but I really want to be able to sew my own clothes. I like to think that I’m creative or at least my mom tries to let me think that by hanging up all my artwork around the house. Positive reinforcement. Probably the only thing I remember from psych 101.
Other great things about October are that I just finished my hell week, so now I have free time to do whatever I want like bake. Lies. I technically won’t be free until Oct 4th when my evil green tea research paper is due, but I can pretend. Or at least I pretend I have ADD and do things like clean up my house and bake CCK’s Pumpkin Cream Cheese Bars, although I haven’t frosted them yet (probably my ego telling me that I need to actually do my work – damn you psych 101).
My Goals for October are:
1. Ace all my exams that are scheduled for the week before Halloween. Not to be cocky or anything, but I’m a boss – or at least Kelis says so.
2. Survive my research paper with a minimum of a B+, but hopefully an A.
3. Attempt to workout every day – see I’m already being lazy by saying attempt. No Lindsay, you must GO to the gym. Remember: Man candy, man candy, man candy.
4. Pimp my apartment. Sort of like pimp my ride, but without all the expensive gadgets and gizmos, so pretty much nothing like the show at all. Maybe Xzibit will come over to make it a little authentic. A girl can hope.
5. Plan out my meals every week – hopefully this will happen and I won’t end up eating sludge from the fridge one night.
6. Be able to run at least 2 miles – this is hilarious, I know. Ya’ll are thinking this girl is so pathetic she can barely run 1 mile. Yeah I wasn’t a runner, I was a volleyball player. All I had to do was be tall and stuff people in the face – I suggest highly everyone needs to do this once, great stress relief.
Hope ya’ll have an amazing Saturday! I’ll be sitting at my desk slaving over studies about green tea. Really professor? I’m only an undergrad and I have to write 10 pages single spaced about Green Tea, not even I, the master of BS, can make up ten pages about freaking green tea.
If this post is not up to my epic level, I blame it on the g-g-green tea. I’m gonna have to call up Jamie Foxx and maybe we can make a remix to Blame it and focus it all about green tea. I bet that song will make it rain in my life.
What is your favorite thing about October?
What are you going to dress up as for Halloween?